Artist: Artist Unknown
Materials: St. Gotthard Stone
Dimensions: 4.5′ x 19” x 2.5′
About Marzocco Lion
The original Marzocco “Lion of Florence” was created in the late 14th century and placed at the Piazza della Signoria which is attached to the famous Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Italy. The original sculpture no longer exists, however, the best-known rendition is by Donatello (1386-1466) and was made in 1418-20. The Marzocco symbolizes Florentine qualities of pride, strength, and generosity.
Mars, the god of war, was the patron of Florence. “Marzocco” means “small god of Mars.” The original was carved in Pietrasanta near Milan, Italy. It is now located in the Bargello National Museum in Florence, Italy. However, a replica now stands in its place in the Piazza della Signoria. The Marzocco Lion remains a powerful heraldic symbol for Italy to this day and is seen in many decorative elements throughout the region.
There are two additional, large-scale replicas in the MOA collection. They currently reside in Englewood, CO, flanking the intersection of S. Inca St. and Englewood Parkway.